Friday, August 20, 2010

A Trip, After Midnight

In the previous post, I had mentioned things that I either did or had happened around me. One thing, I thought, ought to have its own post.

It was about 2 a.m. one morning in mid-June. I was awake because of insomnia. And when I have it, I'm awake for at least two hours.

I had run out of cigarettes and orange juice because I didn't buy any the night before, so I went to a gas station/convenience store in town. It's open 24 hours a day.

I took the long way because ongoing construction work to one of the main streets had closed it. Instead of going south and turning west to get to the convenience store -- a trip of about a half mile -- I drove four blocks west from my apartment, then two blocks south, then three blocks west, then four blocks south and back east. The trip was about 2.5 miles long.

I bought some cigarettes but not orange juice, because the store didn't sell any brand that I liked. Instead, I bought a gallon of fruit punch drink. I thought it would taste like Hawaiian Punch, but it had a flat taste and was less sweet than orange juice.

I looked at the expiration date on the plastic jug and it said Nov. 10, 2010.

What the fuck? I thought. Is this the liquid equivalent of Twinkies?

However, I came to like its taste and I've bought more of it after that.

No comments: