Friday, June 11, 2010

What Other People Said

This post is the first of possibly many to come in a new category which I've labeled What Other People Said.

It's a lot like the Jottings label I have for some of my posts. For What Other People Said, I'll quote other people. In Jottings, many of the entries came from my mind.
*
The old Sports Illustrated used to be literature. Now, it's a marketing tool.
--Norman Chad, syndicated sportswriter, written in December 1994.
*
This would be a better world for the children if the parents would eat the spinach.
--Groucho Marx, in the movie Animal Crackers, during a parody of the Eugene O'Neill play Strange Interlude.
*
Those hip musicians with their complicated shoes.
--George Costanza (played by Jason Alexander) in "The Burning," episode 16, season 9 of Seinfeld.
*
A real estate novelist ...
--From the song Piano Man by Billy Joel -- and I've always wondered what the hell a real estate novelist is, anyway.
*
It's not a great party unless some one dies or some one conceives.
--Overheard in an Indianapolis bookstore on April 16, 1994
*
Remember: Not all wedding rings are symbols of bondage. Sometimes they're symbols of trust.
&
Every book's title is Lost Illusions.
--Both from the book Points for a Compass Rose, by Evan Connell.
*
Kid With
A Gun?
Call 911
--Unknown headline writer in the Oct. 27, 1993 edition of The Indianapolis News.
*
I wept because I have lost my pain and I am not yet accustomed to its absence.
--Anais Nin.
*
I don't get my opium from religion. I get it, like the rest of the world, from Afghanistan.
--Seen somewhere on the Internet.
*
It appears that our (U.S.) society is sex crazed and optimistic, yet consumed by deep regret.
--Chuck Klosterman, page 96 of the November 2007 issue of Esquire magazine.

No comments: