Friday, July 31, 2009

Reading The Shakes

Ace: You know I never read any plays by Shakespeare before, so I went to the library and took one out.

Deuce: Which one?

Ace: Romeo and Juliet.

Deuce: What did you think about it?

Ace: I wasn't impressed.

Deuce: What? Why not?

Ace: The play was full of cliches.
"But soft -- what light through yonder window breaks?"
"Romeo, Romeo. Wherefore art thou, Romeo?"
"A plague on both your houses!"
I've heard them before. That Shakespeare's a damn thief. He stole those quotes from other people, put them in his plays and called it his own work.

Deuce: Shakespeare wrote those lines, idiot. Back in the 1590s.

Ace: So he didn't take those lines from other people, but they took those lines from him?

Deuce: Right.

Ace: Well then -- never mind. Guess the joke's on me.

No comments: