Friday, October 24, 2008

mom and 'roids

ten years ago, my mother had hip replacement surgery. the doctors prescribed steroids to help her heal.

it was legitimate. doctors often prescribe steroids for a patient to help bone growth and to built up muscle tissue after surgery.

before i went to visit her in the hospital, i was scared. i was afraid that she would reach out from her bed, grab me, and say:

"WHAT'S THE IDEA OF THIS CHEAP 99-CENT GET-WELL-CARD YOU GOT FOR ME? GET ME AN AMERICAN GREETINGS CARD OR A HALLMARK CARD -- AND MAKE SURE IT COSTS $3.95 OR MORE. I'M YOUR MOTHER, YOU CHEAP JACKASS!"

as i imagined it, she called me a jackass because -- well, she couldn't call me a son of a bitch or a bastard.

i was also afraid she'd say:

"WHAT IS THIS CHEAP POTTED PLANT? I'M YOUR MOTHER! BRING ME SO DAMN ROSES! AND MAKE IT AT LEAST A DOZEN OF THEM!"

but neither of those things happened.

i was glad my mother didn't get addicted to steroids. i don't think my father would've enjoyed shooting them into her rump.
*
for the record: patients like my mother are prescribed from 2.5 milligrams to 14.5 milligrams of steroids a day. athletes who take steroids often take from 20 to 2,000 milligrams a day.

No comments: